As my twenty-second year is coming to a close, I wanted to wrap it up by compiling a list of 22 things I’ve learned at the age of 22. Here goes.
22. Being an overachiever is never easy. If you are an overachiever, it is always best to pace yourself when working on a big project, and to give yourself several breaks throughout the day just to breathe.
21. Be yourself because you just can’t be anyone else. You will find friends who fit you perfectly; just give it time. And when you find those friends, don’t let them go.
20. The reputation of Miley Cyrus is only going to get worse from here.
19. Nothing in life is worth stressing over. That’s right, nothing. Not even that mean picture your ex-boyfriend sent you of himself with his new girl, or that overdraft at the bank. It will all work itself out in time.
18. Always follow through with commitments unless there is a real emergency. People will stop trusting you after too many broken promises or commitments.
17. A good way to stay awake through exams is a good strong coffee, a Vault energy drink, or just pinching yourself repetitively (as a last resort.)
16. People are going to let you down. Some people will let you down constantly. Don’t be one of those people and don’t trust those types of people.
15. Cherish the moments you love with the people you love. You never know what changes life will bring. Best friends can usually be counted on one hand or less. When you find a friend worth keeping, don’t let them go! Let them know often they are loved and appreciated. Even if time or space may separate you from a friend, a sign that you are true friends is your ability to pick up where you left off, as if nothing has changed.
14. Middle school is NOT the highlight of most people’s educations, for many, many reasons.
13. Don’t let other’s thoughts affect you. What others think of you is none of your business. You’ll be a happier person the sooner you realize this.
12. If you have a crush on the cutest guy you’ve ever laid eyes on, don’t simply say, “I have a crush on you.” It doesn’t work.
11. Everything you dream of, you should just do! Don’t wait for the “perfect timing” to start checking things off your “bucket-list” (or as we say at my house, life list). There is not enough time in life to not live it to the fullest. If you want to dye your hair pink, visit the Grand Canyon, or read “Diary of a Wimpy Kid,” just do it!
10. If your boyfriend/girlfriend is constantly accusing you of something you are clearly not doing, or if they are constantly defensive for no reason, they just might not be as loyal as you suspect.
9. Don’t be afraid to give! The more you give, the more you will receive and the more blessings will come your way.
8. The power of words is an incredible thing.
7. Sometimes you just have to cry. For hours. Or maybe a few minutes. Maybe in the shower. Maybe in the backyard. It doesn’t matter. It’s good to get those tears out. I think it’s a form of catharsis.
6. Never lie, steal, cheat, or drink. But if you must lie, lie in the arms of the one you love. If you must steal, steal away from bad company. If you must cheat, cheat death. And if you must drink, drink in the moments that take your breath away…Okay. So I might have stolen this one from Hitch! But I couldn’t agree more.
5. Country music is REALLY enjoyable at times. Like, when you’re missing your wife who left you with four hungry children and a crop on the field. Or, when you just want to dig your keys in to the side of his pretty little souped up four-wheel drive. (Only kidding…it really can be enjoyable at times.)
4. Never lend out anything you will be upset about not getting back. Trust me.
3. Family comes first, period.
2. Sometimes you just have to break loose, have a good time, and forget your troubles!
1. Above all else, love. Love boldly, bravely, and unconditionally.
Hope you all enjoyed; now try out your own lists!